Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Short Notice on NaNoWriMo

This past week has been absurdly busy, what with my choir concert on Wednesday, Halloween shenanigans at school on Thursday, and then NaNoWriMo starting yesterday and a handful of insanity tossed in at school. Still, I've finally found time and so I intend to blog!

Since it is November (which is questionably my favorite month of them all) I feel it is only proper to usher it in with a little NaNoWriMo chat. This is my third year doing NaNoWriMo, and let me tell you, it is the hermit's version of a party. I first discovered it via Scott Westerfeld's blog, and since then I've never looked back.

This year, I went into it with a few ideas, but none that I felt totally dedicated to. I ended up using a sort-of plot idea, which I sketched out in Biology yesterday in twenty minutes of free time. (Honestly, I spend more time doing Not Science than Science in my Bio class this year. It's kind of nice.) I figured out roughly what I wanted for a beginning, middle, and end. The characters were named and their appearances described vaguely, and I was good to go.

Right now, I'm using the title These Things I Know, but I don't like it very much so I doubt it'll stay for long. Considering my characters are dictating the story a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if I go through a lot of different titles.

Anyway, the story right now seems to be about a girl living in the New Holy Roman Empire who gets kidnapped and proceeds to question whether or not she has free will, except not nearly as deep as it sounds. (NaNo ideas always sound this crazy, trust me.) It's still too early to give much more detail than that.

Expect a little less blogging from me this month, and all the best wishes to those of you joining me in the insanity!

Until next time,
Hailey Jenkins

2 comments:

  1. I hope your choir concert went well! Is this the normal time you have them, or was this one just early?
    The more I read your idea, the more I like it. Although I still think there needs to be a sword or two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a tad earlier than last years, but otherwise we do typically have a concert in the fall. We've got a fall concert, our late January Broadway concert, and then two spring concerts: one with the middle school and one just before the seniors get out of school.
      You're right. It does need a few more swords.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments, questions, et cetera! I'd love to hear from you!