Thursday, October 17, 2013

Of NaNoWriMo and Shakespeare

Today's post is a bit two-fold.

Part the first.

As October comes closer to its goodbyes and November's birth approaches, I find myself still lacking a steady plot for this year's NaNoWriMo. (For those uninformed, National Novel Writing Month is November, and a portion of those on this earth dedicate it to writing a novel. I am one such person.) I've got two that are steady, with beginnings and ends (though not quite enough middles) that I could easily toss one onto paper and start the journey, but for neither does it feel like the time has come.

Mostly, though, my father and I were brainstorming and we came up with a completely crazy, barely-hashed idea and it is so much more intriguing to me than those other stories I've been slowly coaxing into existence through time lines, sketches, and notes in my phone. I don't even have a title for said idea yet, which is odd, since for me, the title's the first thing to come. (What can I say? I tend to keep my project titles, however stupid/silly/unrelated they may be.)

Still, I like this idea that's vague and unformed with no beginning, middle, or end. It's very pretty to look at. It's not too far out from my previous works. The plot should carry out to my 50,000 word goal. I would be able to write it in first person, which I find much more easy than third or omnipresent or whatever the world wants to call it these days.

We'll see. I've got roughly two weeks to finalize my decision.

In the meantime, I leave you all with a question that's somewhat vague. Dystopias, Nancy Drew-esque mysteries, or aliens?

Part the second.

In other news, since school let out early today, I spent my free time watching the new Much Ado About Nothing adaption directed by Joss Whedon.

Via the ever-magical Wikipedia

Much Ado About Nothing is, and has been since I started reading Shakespeare, my favorite Shakespeare play, though up until a few hours ago, I had only read it, not seen it. I love the humorous relationship between Benedick and Beatrice, as well as the more dramatic affairs of Hero and Claudio. To finally see it performed was wonderful. This adaption certainly did not disappoint!

I loved the cinematic choice to film entirely in black and white. Not only was it beautiful to look at, but it made the whole thing seem not quite modern, despite its setting. Mixing both old and new, so to speak. Also on this thread of thought, the lighting impressed me. Maybe it was the black and white, but the light seemed so natural.

I also liked the choice for the actors. Each played their roles well, and their roles suited them. They really became their characters to me.

Anyway, it was such a joy to finally see my favorite Shakespeare play in a format other than words in a book. Someday I hope to find more gorgeous adaptions of it!

Until next time,
Hailey Jenkins

2 comments:

  1. You can color me maroon/fuchsia with your hinted at NaNoWriMo projects.

    How cool about the Much Ado adaption! I've been curious about this one, since Joss Wheadon is generally loved, and Much Ado holds a special place in my heart as well.
    If you're looking for another adaption... the one with Emma Thompson (Beatrice) and Kenneth Branagh (Benedick) is really lovely. Branagh has done lots of Shakespeare adaptions and he's really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! Some time I will have to see if my local library has that adaption!

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments, questions, et cetera! I'd love to hear from you!